Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sleep deprivation

I remember those good ole days of sleeping in until noon or sometimes after because I had stayed up so late the night before...and thinking "Man, I'm so sleep deprived." Or coming into work after not being able to get to sleep until midnight or later and complaining to co-workers how unbelievably tired I was.....I didn't have a clue.

Now that I'm in the throes of a 9.5-month old with a tooth that is perpetually "just about to cut through," who woke me up numerous times last night unable to sleep through the pain, I realize 1) How stinking lucky I was, rest-wise, back then, and 2) How incredibly sleep-deprived I was the first 3 or 4 months of Cooper's life.


I find it so strange that I'd never really heard anyone talk about how serious sleep deprivation is. You can't function or create complete thoughts properly, and it just puts you into this haze where you feel like you're no longer a contributing part of the living world. I guess other mothers don't want to scare new Moms by telling them how truly hard this is, or maybe its just not something you can properly put into words...or maybe they try and block that all out. Truly, its nothing you can ever properly prepare for unless you've got a live-in nanny or family that lives close-by and are able to help out. Even then, if you're nursing, there's not much relief.

Trying to find compassion for your hungry/hurting/helpless child when all you want to do is close your eyes is so frustrating. I have found myself praying at night for God to give me the patience and sympathy to help Cooper instead of groaning at him when I was really exhausted.

I still sometimes find myself jealous/resentful of my husband's uninterrupted, lenghty rest and have found myself intentionally being louder than necessary in the hopes of interrupting his sleep too. Am I just plain evil or is this common? I'm pretty sure its something a lot of mothers secretly do but don't always admit. (I hope Steven doesn't read this).

Two of my good friends had babies after I did and when they sent me pictures, I saw these two and thought "Wow, there's a picture of me with those same tired eyes." But, you'll notice the blissful smiles we all have too! This is what gets us through...this unfathomable love for our little munchkins.






Renee & Kirsten





Tara & Ryeland





Me & Coopy

6 comments:

Renee' said...

You aren't evil at all... I did the same thing. :)

Annie said...

Yeah, I do the same thing. :) But I have to be careful not to wake Samuel while I'm doing it. I love those sleepy eyes pictures. I've got those, too. As I'm typing this I am aware of how heavy my eyelids feel, and it's only 1:18pm.

Anonymous said...

It's not evil to "accidently" bump your hubby in the middle of the night while he's restly peacefully, the way we used to think babies slept before we had one ourselves. Sleep deprivation is horrible, especially as a nursing mom, but I think we don't talk about it at first because we just think it comes with the territory. I just in the last week have had my first full night sleep uninterrupted in over 16 months. You are a great mom, and nothing wrong with wanting to pour ice water on your hubby while he's sleeping and your up with your teething baby :)

The Rampy Trio said...

It is VERY common to want to wake up the peacefully sleeping man next to you. I have a 5 year old that gets up every once in awhile and trust me it's a fight over who has to get up. I will wake him up and tell him its his turn. As a mother you are ready at the first sound to get up and take care of your child. I feel that both of us should be apart of the midnight wake up call. It should not be a one-sided motherly duty. Hang in there it does get better with age.

mattdaddy said...

Haha rite on. Crazy wild. Sounds tuff n' a mofo. I mean muffin. Tougher than a 10 day old muffin. hahaha

Shantell Wyatt said...

Well Megan, I do think you are a little evil, but for unrelated reasons:)
But, you have to remember, Steven may have been at the race the day before drinking with his buddies, all day long.
What if he was camping the entire weekend and had a hangover when he returned home? He needs his rest, and it just isn't fair for you to interrupt him, please think about this in the future.

On a side not, you should absolutely not pretend you don't hear your child over the monitor & randomly kick your foot or turn over ubruptly to startle your significant other awake....that is childish. (And I've never done it)